Monday, March 22, 2010

Under Pressure


So it turns out that according to my latest reading, my blood pressure is once again riding the line between Prehypertension and Stage 1 Hypertension (the border is at 140/90). Dang.

I've been aware of this problem for some time-- starting from when my PE teacher had me take the reading 10 times in a row in disbelief, to the time I recognized the numbers on my grandmother's BP reading from her hospital bed during a diabetic emergency.

Two summers ago, I was able to get my numbers down to almost normal levels after my ridiculous regime of tennis, lifting, and HIIT-- a feat I'll probably never be able to achieve again. The only way to come close would be to remove as much sodium as possible from my diet, which is worth considering.

Turns out the UK classifies BP up to 140/90 as completely normal, whereas in the US, that's the line between prettycrap and megabad. Why is it then that the US is the one with the disgustingly disproportionate obesity issue and the long-running streak heart-related deaths year after year?
I'm not satisfied until every vein is forced up against my skin. Look how vascular I am, Brian. If there's one thing women love it's a vascular man. I've got veins. They carry my blood all over my bah-dy. That's how John Mayer would say it: "Bah-dy." I'm really into him now. You better be okay with it!
Stewie Griffin

1 comment:

Paul Sultan said...

wow, first post in a while i could understand. i wouldn't worry about it tho. maybe take it easy on those fighting games video games. but seriously, maybe try eating some red yeast rice if you find some. i've got 102/52 bordering on hypotension. check out - http://kuwaitmd.hsc.edu.kw/main/files/blood-pressure-chart.gif , http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/